About Burlingame, California
Located on the San Francisco Peninsula in San Mateo County, the beautiful city of Burlingame is the "Gateway to San Francisco." A 15 minute drive from downtown San Francisco, Burlingame features a vast shoreline on San Francisco Bay, a diversity of recreational facilities, beautiful parks, museums, upscale shopping, wonderful restaurants, exciting nightlife and entertainment, and unique attractions highlighted by a home-town vibe. Edged by San Francisco Bay, our pleasant, tree-shaded community is full of verdant parks, scenic hiking and biking trails along with a spectacular golf course. Beloved for its tree-lined streets, the "City of Trees" offers distinctive retail shopping, including the Fresh Market, which offers fresh produce, flowers and specialty foods every Sunday. Bordered by two sides of a gorgeous peninsula - Coastside and Bayside - San Mateo County is packed with undiscovered treasures, blissful scenery and an abundance of fascinating attractions that make your visit to the Bay Area a magical experience.
Crowne Plaza guests will find plenty of things to do in the Bay Area without even leaving the town of Burlingame. And not only for themselves! Just like our hotel, the Bay Area is very pet friendly. Check out all of the ways Fido can enjoy his stay in Burlingame.
For Shoppers: Walk Directly From Our Hotel To Broadway Ave!
Burlingame has some of the best shopping in the Bay Area. Whether you're looking for local souvenirs, designer gifts, or fresh produce, shoppers can find it all at these two main shopping districts:
- Downtown Burlingame Ave (between California Drive and El Camino Road): the larger of the two shopping areas, is pedestrian-friendly, and has everything from independent boutiques and daily farmers' markets to nationally recognized outlets and upscale stores.
- Broadway (between California Drive and El Camino Road): This quaint, older section of town is walking distance from our hotel, boasts many mom-and-pop shops and unique restaurants that you won't find anywhere else in the Bay Area. We are the only hotel with a convenient overpass that takes guests right to Broadway Ave.
For Nature Lovers
With 18,000 trees and 15 public parks, nature lovers can keep busy outside. One of our favorite hidden gems is Mills Canyon wildlife area: home to 28 acres of beautifully preserved native plants and animals as well as the Ed Taylor hiking trail. Be sure to stop by the daily Farmer's Market in Burlingame to stock up on fresh snacks before your adventure - open 7 days a week!
For Thrill Seekers
A favorite spot for some rainy-day fun, the GoKart Racer track is an indoor kart racing facility. The track has three exciting courses complete with hairpin turns and elevation changes, and provides each racer with a helmet, racing suit and instructions.
During your stay in the Bay Area, be sure to enjoy the pubs, clubs and music venues in Burlingame. A few local favorites include Elephant Bar for casual dining, Steelhead Brewing Company for microbrews and American food, or Barrelhouse for a trendy atmosphere and fun night out on the town. Feel free to ask our front desk staff for more dining and entertainment recommendations.
With beautiful weather nearly year round, spending time outdoors at many of Burlingame's free events is always a fun way to enjoy your stay. Here are just a few:
Concerts in the Park
Enjoy live music in Washington Park every Sunday afternoon in July.
Movies in the Park
Bring a blanket or lawn chair and kick back to a family friendly movie every Friday evening during August and September. Movies are shown in Washington Park.
This annual weekend event in September hosts award winning musicians, gourmet foods, over 150 artists and an entertainment area for children.
5 Things You Might Not Know About Burlingame
- The city is home to over 18,000 trees that are protected by an ordinance prohibiting anyone from cutting them down
- Burlingame is home to the world's largest Pez dispenser (7' 10" tall!)
- The 'Glee' character, Quinn (Dianna Agron) attended high school in Burlingame
- Burlingame's historic Kohl Mansion is where the movie 'Flubber' was filmed
- Since the city is protected by surrounding hills that block much of the area's wind, residents of Burlingame enjoy the city's temperate climate year round (54-82°F in July, and 39-57°F in January)